Shrimp & Nettle Pesto Pizza
Shrimp and Pesto are a marriage made heaven. Whether it be on pizza, in pasta, with pastry or just the two together as an appetizer. This Shrimp & Nettle Pesto Pizza is no exception and is super easy. It takes only four to five minutes to bake. Yes, really. So, up your game if you dare and make this Foolproof & Easy Homemade Pizza Dough (which only takes 35-55 minutes), and you’ve only added to the level of amazing, mouth watering gourmet pizza that dreams are made of.
Do I have to use Nettle Pesto?
Nope. Basil pesto will work just as well. If you don’t know what I mean by “Nettle”, I’m referring to “Stinging Nettles.” It’s is a wonderful obnoxious weed that somehow has some wonderful culinary uses as well as numerous potential health benefits (folic acid anyone?). See previous post for more information and the recipe to make the Stinging Nettle Pesto for this Shrimp & Nettle Pesto Pizza. Otherwise, you can use this homemade Fresh Basil Pesto, or your favorite store-bought version (lazy can still be wonderful). But if you do make your own stinging nettle pesto, and I hope you do… know that you can use it for many things beyond this pizza and it will keep in the fridge for several weeks… if you can keep yourself from eating it all in one sitting.
A word on cheese for your pizza
I have used both aged mozzarella and fresh mozzarella for just about all my pizzas and they are always delicious. So, if you have one and not the other, don’t worry – it will work.
Do I need a pizza stone?
If you want a good tasting pizza crust, then yes. As I mention in my Foolproof & Easy Homemade Pizza Dough post. Any fresh raw dough is going to be better baked on a piping hot surface. This pizza only takes five minutes or less in a 500°F oven and you need the pizza to land on a very hot surface to get the proper crispy crust.
Shrimp & Nettle Pesto Pizza
- Pizza stone
- Pizza Peel
- 6 Ounces Raw Shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1/2 Tablespoon Olive Oil to cook shrimp
- 1 Cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese or 6-8 ounces fresh mozzarella
- 1/4 Cup Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese shaved or grated
- 3 Tablespoons Stinging Nettle Pesto or fresh basil pesto
- Homemade Pizza Dough half of this recipe for one pizza
- 1/2 Cup Arugula or rocket as they call it in the UK
- Red Pepper Flakes optional seasoning
- Preheat oven with pizza stone inside to 500°F/260°C Convection. You’ll want your stone really hot before the pizza dough touches it.
- If using large shrimp, cut them into smaller bite size pieces. Heat skillet on med/high. Add 1/2 tablespoon to the pan and cook shrimp for about 30 seconds and set aside.
- Roll dough out onto floured surface (with rolling pin or by hand) to about 1/8 inch/3.17mm thick and about 10 inches/25.4cm.
- Spread dough with pesto, top with cheese then the shrimp. Slide onto pizza stone (see note) and bake for 4-5 minutes. Top with Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, red pepper flakes and arugula.