The quickest and easiest way to use leftover Alaska King Crab meat that will have your friends & family drooling. Make your next “Taco Tuesday” the best ever.
No Taco Shell Required
These healthier “deconstructed tacos” don’t need to be in a shell. They are so quick, easy and a great way to use leftover king crab. It’s a taco that is basically inside out. There’s no shell to fill, but there’s still corn tortillas – you can make your own, or buy your favorite brand in a bag. You’ll also want to grab a fork because it’s not really finger food.
What was my inspiration?
While in Juneau, Alaska for a food conference I went on a Taste of Juneau Tour – which I highly recommend. Part of the tour took us to a Food Truck Food Court. While all the food was great, my favorite was this non-breaded king crab taco from El Agave. Read more about Juneau, Alaska in my articles Things to eat in Juneau, Alaska and Things to do in Juneau Alaska and then book your trip.
How to cook Alaskan King Crab Legs
There are several quick and easy ways to cook crab legs, but my favorite way is to thaw them in the refrigerator for 8-12 hours or overnight and then boil them for about 4-6 minutes. Alaskan king crab legs are already cooked then frozen, so when you buy them, you just need to heat them up before serving.
What to do with leftover king crab?
We usually just dip the crab meat in butter and I serve it with corn-on-the-cob with more butter and some other veggie. I had leftover crab meat and left over corn-on-the-cob and I just wanted to use the leftovers to make something different than what we had eaten the night before. Viola..I created this mouthwatering recipe for these Quick & Easy King Crab Tacos that are to die for.
Can I substitute canned crab meat for these tacos?
You can, but it won’t taste as good (in my opinion). Alaskan King Crab is not the same as the canned crab you normally see in your local grocery store and therefore will not taste the same. You can buy King Crab online at Alaskan King Crab Co. Sometimes I find it at my local grocery store or at Costco.
Cut corn from cob, place in a bowl, cover and microwave for 2-3 minutes. Meanwhile, cut up the rest of your ingredients for the pico de gallo (onions, tomatoes, jalapeños, cilantro). Add the corn, to the pico de gallo and season with salt pepper and lime juice. *You can also use frozen corn, to save time or skip cooking the raw corn on the cob entirely. It is safe to eat raw corn.
Quick & Easy King Crab Tacos with Chipotle Sauce
- 12 Ounces Alaskan King Crab Meat (cooked and shelled)
- 3 Tablespoons Butter (melted)
- 1/2 Cup Sharp White Cheddar (shredded)
- 3 Small Corn Tortillas (4.5 inches) (street taco size, cut into 1/8” strips)
Pico de gallo
- 1/4 Cup Onion (chopped)
- 1/2 Cup Tomato (chopped)
- 1 Tablespoon Jalapeño
- 1/2 Cup Corn (fresh or frozen)
- 1 Tablespoon Cilantro (fresh)
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Lime Juice
- 1/4 Cup Sour Cream (whole fat)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Chipotle Chili Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Lime Juice (fresh squeezed)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Cut corn tortillas into 1/8” strips, toss with about 1 Tablespoon of olive oil (they should be very lightly coated). Bake for 15-20 minutes or until they crisp up. *You can skip this step and use pre-made crispy tortilla chips from a bag if you wish – I just like they way these look.
- Cut corn from cob, place in a bowl, cover and microwave for 2-3 minutes. Meanwhile, cut up the rest of your ingredients for the pico de gallo (onions, tomatoes, jalepenos, cilantro). Add the corn, to the pico de gallo and season with salt pepper and lime juice. *You can also use frozen corn, to save time or skip cooking the raw corn on the cob entirely. It is safe to eat raw corn.
- Mix the sour cream, chipotle chili powder and 1 tablespoon of lime juice for the chipotle cream sauce and set aside.
- Melt butter and mix with shelled king crab meat. If you want the crab meat warm, cover and heat it in a microwave for 20 seconds at a time until it’s warm.
- To plate, place some of the chipotle cream sauce on a plate, place 1/2 cup (1/4 pound) of crab meat on the plate. *I packed a 1/2 cup measuring cup and flipped that over onto my plate. Place some pico de gallo on top of the crab, then 1/3 of the white cheddar cheese and then top it with the crispy tortilla strips.
Some other mains, sides and a cocktail you might like.