There’s no law about slaw
Well, I was smoking a pork shoulder for our guests and as usual I was going to make the standard coleslaw to go with it, when out of nowhere, Pepé le Chef jumped out and said, “NO, NO SHERIE… Is your head made of a cabbage? Step outside the bowl and make something new. Make something colorful, sweet and bit spicy. You don’t want to bore your friends to death.” I said, “okay, okay! First, my name is not Sherie… (Seriously how does he not know this already?) Secondly, take it down a notch short stuff or I’ll kick your little wooden butt to the curb.” We put our heads together and came up with this Jicama Mango Slaw. It’s great as a side dish or as you will see in the next post, we used it and the smoked pulled pork for some pretty damn fine pulled pork street tacos.
Pepé was sleeping on the job. Luckily it was so easy, I didn’t need his help anyway.
Jicama Mango Slaw
- 1 Cups Jicama peeled and chopped
- 1 1/3 Cup Red Cabbage chopped
- 1/2 Cup Mango chopped
- 4 Tablespoons Jalapeño about 1 jalapeño seeded finely chopped
- 3 Tablespoons Lime Juice about 1 lime
- Zest from 1 lime
- 2 Tablespoons Orange Muscat Champagne Vinegar (apple cider vinegar will work too)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Peel Jicama like you would a potato (or with a sharp knife) and chop it up along with the cabbage, mango and jalepeño.
- Add all other ingredients and serve as a side dish beside fish or BBQ or a topping for our smoked pulled pork street tacos.