Let’s Clean Out the Fridge…
It started out as a “clean out the fridge before we travel meal”. I didn’t want to come home to a drawer full of rotten vegetables. Pepé always panics at this point because he has no idea what’s coming, but it always works out, and this hearty Cauliflower & Fennel Coconut Curry Soup is a perfect example and a delicious one pot meal and has become one of our favorites. #meatlessmonday
Add Less Stock and this makes a good stir fry
Before I created this was a soup, I made this Indian inspired stir fry. Stir Fried Cauliflower & Fennel Curry (recipe coming soon). As mentioned above, I did not have a recipe at the time, I just threw what I had available together and discovered a new blend of flavors that I love. Later, once I was back in town, I wanted those flavors again and decided to try them in a soup. I don’t always have a plan, but that’s what makes it fun.
Soup for the soul and also for healing!
First thing my hubby and I do when either of us gets sick is make Homemade Chicken Soup with our Homemade Chicken Stock (Bone Broth). The great thing about soups is that they’re so versatile. You can sauté just about anything in a pot, add some stock and POOF… You just made soup. And, if you’re like me… You’ll be eating this for the next two to three days. LOL
Stock Short Cut…
Please don’t use those old fashion bouillon cubes. I don’t always have homemade stock available, so I keep jars of this “Better Than Bouillon” soup base on hand. It’s available in a variety of flavors (vegetable, chicken, beef, etc.) .
Step by Step Instructions:
Mince shallots and garlic.
Chop fennel and set aside. After cutting off the ends (including fronds) of the fennel bulb, cut vertically into quarters, then cut the core from of each quarter, much like you would cut the core out of a quartered cabbage.
Chop cauliflower into large chunks.
Finish chopping everything, get your spices ready and heat your pan.
Heat oil in dutch oven or soup pot, on medium high. Sauté shallots and garlic for about 1-2 minutes.
Add all vegetables, season with salt and continue cooking for another 2-3 minutes.
Add the stock, water, coconut milk and seasonings.
Stir, cover partially with lid and cook for about 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Garnish with fennel fronds, green onions and chili oil (optional).
Cauliflower & Fennel Coconut Curry Soup
- 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Cup Celery (about 3 spears, chopped)
- 1 Cup Carrots (about 2-3 medium carrots, chopped)
- 3 Cups Cauliflower (about 1/2 large head, chopped into large chunks)
- 3 Cups Fennel Bulb about 2 large bulbs, chopped into large chunks
- 1 Cup Shallots (finely chopped)
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic (about 3-5 cloves, minced)
- 2 1/2 Cups Stock (vegetable or chicken)
- 2 1/2 Cups Water
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Ground White Pepper
- 2 Teaspoons Ground Coriander
- 3 Teaspoons Ground Curry Seasoning
- 1 Teaspoon Hot Paprika
- 13.66 Ounces Unsweetened Coconut Milk from a Can (or coconut cream and more water)
- 4 Green Onions (optional for garnish)
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in dutch oven or soup pot, on medium high. Sauté shallots and garlic for about 1-2 minutes, then add all vegetables, season with salt and continue cooking for another 2-3 minutes. Add the stock, water, coconut milk and seasonings. Stir, cover partially with lid and cook for about 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Garnish with fennel fronds, green onions and chili oil (optional).
Other recipes you might like