What’s Your Beef?
Pepé and I are really bad at planning our meals ahead of time. We don’t always know what we’re cooking for dinner until we are ready to cook dinner. I thought we planned ahead recently, but we were mistaken. We found some filet mignon in the freezer, so we put it in the fridge to thaw for a couple of days. So it’s the day and time to cook dinner. We went to open the package of meat only to realize that it was not the beef we thought it was. It was boneless short ribs instead of filet mignon. UGH! #mealplanningfail
One bad plan after another led to eating sandwiches
Our next mistake was to pull out a sirloin strip, but that was frozen solid and after 20 or 30 minutes I realized that was a bad plan. Pulled some shrimp out after that and again realized it was a bad plan as it was now approaching 9:30 p.m. Yes, my dinner plans were crushed, so we threw in the towel and finally just ate sandwiches. #imoverit
No worries. We can cook them tomorrow when we have more time.
The next day was a successful day in the kitchen
So, today is the day to cook these braised short ribs. We came home from a day at the winery (see previous post) and Pepé was a little jealous that Claude got to go out and have some fun, but Pepé got out for a whole weekend recently, so he can just get over it. Claude was a bit tipsy from the day at the winery, so he insisted on photo bombing. He and Pepé are a bit competitive.
Let’s start cooking!
Preheat oven to 350°F. Salt and pepper your short ribs then dredge them in flour (shaking off the excess).
Heat your pan on medium high. Add two tablespoons of bacon grease (yes bacon grease – you don’t have to use it, but one tablespoon isn’t going to hurt you and this isn’t exactly diet food anyway). Add one tablespoon of olive oil as well.
Now toss those babies in your hot pan and sear them on all sides for about a minute each side.
Once they’re nice and brown, remove them to a plate and add those veggies. Sprinkle with salt and cook until tender.
At this point, you will want to add 1-2 more tablespoons of oil and two tablespoons of flour. Stir for a minute or two. Now add the minced garlic. Never let garlic burn or it will taste bitter. Now add in your red wine and make sure to scrape those tasty bits off the bottom of the pan. Stir for a few minutes.
Add your beef or chicken stock, water and tomato paste and stir some more. Gently, add your beef back into the pan (you do not want to splash yourself). Add your herbs, cover and put into your oven. Let it cook for 2 1/2 hours. You’re house will smell amazing. Now you can use this time to work on your side dishes, take a nap, pet the cat… whatever you want.
Oh, I almost forgot… (Pepé was distracting me) I like to add about two heaping handfuls of sliced mushrooms in the pan about 45 minutes before I take it out of the oven.
You should now have super tender braised short ribs with a delicious mushroom, wine gravy.
Braised Short Ribs
- 1 1/2 Pounds beef short ribs (bone-in or boneless)
- 1 Cup yellow onion chopped
- 1 Cup carrot chopped
- 3 Large garlic cloves minced
- 2-3 Tablespoons All Purpose Flour + more for dredging (about 2 cups)
- 1 Cup dry red wine
- 3 Cups beef or chicken stock
- 2 Cups water
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 Cups mushrooms sliced (optional)
- 2 Tablespoons bacon grease
- 2-3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 Sprigs rosemary
- 2-3 Sprigs thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- Salt and pepper your short ribs then dredge them in flour (shaking off the excess).
- Heat your pan on medium high. Add two tablespoons of bacon grease and one tablespoon of olive oil.
- Add your meat to the pan sear them on all sides for about a minute each side. Once browned, transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add carrots and onions to the pan and cook until tender.
- Add 1-2 more tablespoons of oil and two tablespoons of flour. Stir for a minute or two.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for one minute.
- Add the red wine and make sure to scrape the bottom of the pan. Stir for a few minutes.
- Add the beef or chicken stock, water and tomato paste and stir some more.
- Gently, add your beef back into the pan and place the herbs on top.
- Cover with lid and place in 350°F oven for 1 hour and 45 minutes. Add mushrooms and continue to cook for another 45 minutes.